Saturday, April 25, 2009

the First.

So I am midway through first semester
of the first year
of my first University course.

It seemed like the right time to start something.

I always complain about being too busy to get anything done.

I mean, this is my first year out of highschool,
I've started my first adult job
and I'm trying to get ready for my first independent overseas trip.

So why not create a new blog?

I don't know if I will post every day or not.
I don't know if anyone will read it.
And I don't know if after this first post I will lose any sense of having time to do this.

But while I'm here, I guess I should post about something, rather than my lack of experience.

I need to do my assignments but I've been watching vlogs and reading blogs all morning. All I want to do right now is sit on my couch and watch a My So-Called Life marathon. What is scary about that show is that the characters verbalise stuff no-one I know would ever actually say. It's exactly how we all feel but there is confrontation in that show. That ugly thing we all avoid. At least, the people in my so-called life avoid it.

My tutor called our class the "Harry Potter" generation the other day. I wonder why we classify our generation that way. "iPod" generation, "OC" generation, "Cellphone" generation... Why not just call us what we really are? "Cyber bullying" generation, "Climate change" generation, "Same sex marriage" generation, "Nuclear testing" generation etc. etc. Because the other stuff might be superficial but it's also safe. The real things that will define us; the neo-McCarthyism of the "War on Terror", 9/11, the fear of North Korea, childhood diabetes and obesity en masse, high school shootings ... I want to throw in some positives there but all I'm thinking is Earth Hour and the election of Barack Obama. That's something I suppose.

I am the same age as Harry Potter was when he faced Voldemort. Harry Potter had one enemy. I have more than I can count and many more that I'm not even aware of yet. We all do. Go go, Gen HP.

No comments:

Post a Comment